Careers Library - The Loft
- Alison Voas - Careers Manager email@example.com
- Cordelia Dobbie – Careers Coordinator and Compact Plus Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sybille Barrett - Work Experience Co-ordinator (CPLD) email@example.com
- Karen Field - Independent Careers Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teresa Hoyles - Careers Library Assistant and Work Experience Co-ordinator email@example.com
- Lee Abbott - Work Experience Co-ordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking a Careers Interview
All students can access one to one guidance with trained professionals. Appointments for careers interviews and careers clinics are available throughout the year. You can also drop in to speak to one of our advisers or work experience coordinators. Please ask at the Careers Reception Desk in The Loft.
Contacting the Careers Department
9.00am to 5.00pm - Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
9.00am to 4.00pm - Wednesday and Friday
The Careers Library has up to date resources
- University Courses and Prospectuses
- Careers information
- Software / Websites
- Gap Year information/Volunteering
- Work Experience
- Job Vacancies
You can use Careers Moodle to access a wide range of careers resources and licensed software. Careers on the VLE Moodle (you will need your username and password)
Students are made aware of possible progression pathways pre enrolment at College and this forms part of the admissions process:-
Open Saturday/Open Evenings When considering options at college and beyond you can speak to subject staff and careers advisors at these events.
Year 10 Taster Days You will receive subject related information about progression within each subject
Interviews & Enrolment Interviews Your interviewer can provide information advice and guidance about your subject choices.
New Students Day You will receive subject related information about progression within each subject.
Once at College students are supported and encouraged to consider their career options. There is extensive support from an experienced, professional Careers team. In accordance with the DfE Guidance for Further Education and Sixth Form Colleges (February 2018) we are committed to using the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks to develop and improve our careers provision by 2020.An overview of the Careers Programme can be found HERE
The Careers team also deliver support materials through the Tutorial Programme, which helps students explore their post 18 options: university, apprenticeships, school leaver programmes, employment or a GAP Year. Students also receive support in making applications, writing personal statements and C.V.s, preparing for interviews and developing employability skills. Students have one to one meetings with their tutor to include discussion of plans for progression and careers. Here is an overview of the programmes for Pre-advanced, Year 1 and Year 2 students .
More information can be found on our Tutorial And Student Support page
Both the Careers Programme and the Tutorial programme are reviewed annually.
Donna-Marie Jansen, Vice-Principal is the designated Careers Leader at Varndean College and she can be contacted by email at email@example.com
The College has developed excellent links with local businesses and organisations and students have experienced placements in a wide range of settings including education, media, engineering, finance and many more.
The college is hugely grateful to employers for their help in supporting young people to build skills and gain insight of the workplace. Last year the following organisations offered our students placements:
Big Lemon Bus Company, Brighton & Hove City Council, Fairlight Primary School, The Grand Hotel, Hacker Young Accountants, Henfield Leisure Centre, Kineo, Network Rail, Oxfam, Sussex Police, Travelbag, University of Brighton, University of Sussex.
Are you an employer who could offer one of our students a work experience placement? Any student placed would have expressed an interest in your organisation’s sector and would be able to meet with you prior to a placement being agreed. If you believe you could help please look at our Guide for Employers and contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or tel 01273 508011 ext 200 for more information.
Quotes from students/employers
- SACU Spartan Test https://sacu-student.com/
- Start https://guest.startprofile.com/
- Student Crowd https://www.studentcrowd.com/
- National Careers Service https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
- Prospects https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
- ICould https://icould.com/
Apprenticeships and Degree Apprenticeships
- Get in Go Far https://www.getingofar.gov.uk/
- National Apprenticeship Service https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Apprenticeships in Sussex http://www.apprenticeships-in-sussex.com
- Rate my Apprenticeship https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/
- UCAS https://www.ucas.com/apprenticeships-in-the-uk
- UCAS https://www.ucas.com/
- Which? University https://university.which.co.uk/
- What Uni? https://www.whatuni.com/
- Unistats https://unistats.ac.uk/
- Open Days https://www.opendays.com/
Alternatives to University
- Not Going to Uni https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk
- Allaboutschoolleavers https://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/
“Varndean had a range of subjects that I couldn’t find in any other college nearby.”
“The college provided me with the resources and teaching quality necessary to support me in achieving the best results I am capable of.”
“I chose to come to Varndean because of the friendly staff on Open Evening and the variety of creative courses it offers.”
“I chose Varndean because it was very welcoming and it felt like the tutors actually cared for the courses I wanted to take, rather than what made the College look good.”