If you are interested in running your own business or understanding how businesses work, a business course could be right for you. You will study business in a variety of forms (example large/small, UK focused/global, service/manufacturing) and consider such topics as the nature of business and the importance of the context it operates within. You will study and research the internal and external influences that shape the important strategic decisions that all businesses have to make – these might include zero inflation and low interest rates, the slowing down of growth in China and the potential conflict between the market’s demand for competitive prices and shareholder’s desire for profits. Assessment on the course will require your development of good quantitative and analytical skills that will be used in case study scenarios drawn largely from real business situations.
The course is geared towards the contemporary business world and students will have to engage with the reported business news, you will be encouraged to keep a scrap book of current business issues.
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic change
I will always highly recommend Varndean College to any student looking to achieve academic excellence in the heart of Brighton and Hove.