Creative Media Production is an exciting two-year full time course which provides the knowledge and hands on experience for students who have a keen interest in working in the creative media industries.
This course would particularly suit you if you:
- Have a fascination with all the many aspects of the television & film industry and how it works.
- Want to know how to produce professional media artifacts and are keen to work following industry processes.
- Prefer to work on a modular basis and your strength is in producing creative practical film and TV based work.
- Demonstrate a strong personal interest and commitment to the subject area, as much of the production work will need to be completed outside of lesson hours.
- Are considering a career in the Creative Media sector, as you will work on ‘live’ projects; create a full portfolio of work and have opportunities to meet industry professionals.
- Filming and Editing Techniques - experimenting with different camera setups, editing and post production techniques
- Working on a film set as a professional production crew shooting your own work on location.
- Working in the Creative Media sector - how the industry is structured, creating a professional showreel, finding work as a media practitioner
This course should be studied in combination with two other A Levels or appropriate BTECs of your choice. This is a two year course and students will need to commit to completing both years in order to achieve the qualification.
Assessment is continuous throughout the year. You must be committed to regular attendance, meeting strict deadlines and working in groups. You will also be required to travel independently off site without supervision for filming project work.
Studied at Varndean College: BTEC Creative Media Production, A Level Photography + AS Maths & Digital Illustration (2014-2016)
Progression: Film Production, Southampton Solent University
After leaving Varndean, Bryony went to Solent University in Southampton to study Film Production (BA Hons) and is now in her third year making her graduate film. With the biggest budget film I’ve worked on (£10,000) she’s working as Casting Director, First Assistant Camera (1st AC), and Editor. Next year she’s staying to do a part-time Masters in Film!
Bryony says: "Varndean was new to me; it allowed me to become independent and really think about what I wanted to do in the future. I knew my career lied in the arts sector, but creative media production really allowed me to explore the different roles and responsibilities I could strive to achieve. Covering all bases of film and television, from live tv, to fiction and non-fiction films, it let me dabble in lots of areas and through that, I was able to understand what I wanted. My other creative subjects (photography and digital illustration) really pushed me to overcome obstacles and allowed me to experiment with my craft."
Grade 5 or above GCSE in Media, Film, Photography or Art. Or alternatively a MERIT or above in BTEC Creative Media or Art & Design.
You should also be able to demonstrate a strong interest in TV & Film at interview, either through a previous course of study or personal projects.
If you haven't studied a Media / Arts qualification previously, we will still consider you on the basis of a strong portfolio.Please email portfolio work to: email@example.com