You will be introduced to a variety of photographic media, techniques and processes. You study traditional black and white darkroom printing as well as digital photography and learn practical skills and techniques. You learn to research photographers' work in depth, and link these ideas with your own work. You will be encouraged to explore ideas and push the boundaries of the medium, and develop your own individual creative concepts and approaches to photography.
Understanding your SLR camera is key: using depth of field, movement, working with different films, lenses, filters and lighting. You will benefit from a wide range of facilities, including two darkrooms and will have the opportunity to work in a studio environment with our technician in a designated studio session each week.
- Learn to use a 35mm SLR film and digital camera
- Develop and print black and white images
- Experiment with colour images both manually and digitally using Photoshop.
- Learn about the history and techniques of photography from the 19th century to contemporary images to extend your own photographic ideas
- Visit galleries in London to see photography exhibitions
- Attend lectures by visiting photographers
- Develop your personal ideas on photography
- Practise finer techniques of black and white darkroom printing
- Experiment more widely with black and white and colour images, further exploring your camera techniques
- Continue to learn new Photoshop skills and print large colour images
- Extend use of digital SLR and a variety of lenses
- Study an aspect of photography you particularly enjoy and write an illustrated essay
I have loved being introduced to dark room photography. I have loved how supportive the tutors are and how they challenge and push you to be the best you can.
Grade 5 in GCSE Photography (if taken) or Merit/Distinction in BTEC Level 2 Award in Photography (if taken)Evidence of commitment to and aptitude for photography demonstrated through submission of work.