The purpose of this governance section is to give an account of the role and responsibilities of the Governors at Varndean College. We believe that it is right and proper to be open and transparent about our activities and to place in the public domain as much information as is possible subject to rules of confidentiality.
The governing Body of Varndean College is an independent Corporation formed under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 and comprises 17 members who are selected as follows: 10 Community Governors, the Principal (ex officio), 2 Staff Governors, 2 Parent Governors, 2 Student Governors. The Corporation operates within the Instruments and Articles of Government which detail the Governing Body’s powers, rules and regulations.
On this page, we include information about the Governing Body including details of its various Committees and standing orders.
- Instrument and Articles
- Critical Incident Plan (incorporating Disaster Recovery)
- Code of Conduct (for Gifts & Hospitality please refer to App. 5 on page 11)
- Corporation Standing Orders
- Corporation Committee Structure and Procedures
- Financial Statements 2017
- Financial Statements 2016
- Health and Safety Policy
- Risk Management Policy
- Scheme of Delegation
- Latest Ofsted Inspection Report
- Confidentiality Statement
- Committee Membership 2017-18
- Schedule of Meetings 2017-18
- Cycle of Business 2017-18
- Governance Committee Structure Chart
- Varndean College Students Union Constitution
- Arrangements for obtaining the views of Staff and Students
- Minutes of Governing Body Meetings
For further finance information including Business Procedures, Risk Register and Financial regulations click here
For further information about the Governing Body or becoming a Governor, please contact us using the Governance Contact Form.
Louise Pennington, Clerk to the Governors
“I was very impressed by the number and variety of courses available at the College, as well as the facilities and the grounds. The vibe here is very welcoming and inspiring, with both the teachers and the students being friendly and helpful.”
MARTINA TOTH (PREVIOUSLY HOME-EDUCATED
“Since the first time I came to an Open Evening, I loved the ambience of the College. It is very friendly and warm. It offered the IB, which I wanted to do.”
INES MATHIEU (EX-MILLAIS SCHOOL, HORSHAM)
“As everyone says (and rightly so) the atmosphere at Varndean College simply felt the most welcoming to me, with its open green spaces and strong sense of Art.”
KITTY FABRY (EX-LONGHILL HIGH SCHOOL)
“I loved the campus and the atmosphere, the teachers are all so friendly and the College itself makes you feel at home. I have had a fabulous two years.”
FREDERICKA GRAY (EX-VARNDEAN SCHOOL)