Why Choose Varndean?
With an ethos that suits the liberal city of Brighton and Hove, Varndean College offers you the freedom to pursue the life you want to lead. Set in a beautiful green campus with views over the city and the sea, Varndean College promotes diversity, multiculturalism and acceptance.
We offer a wide range of courses and achieve excellent results, meaning you can shape your programme of study into a profile that uniquely suits you. Students say that one of the great things about Varndean College is that it doesn’t feel like being at school. Students and staff are on a first-name basis and everyone is treated like an adult.
Students tell us they choose to study here because of the friendly, supportive atmosphere and sense of community. Our staff are passionate about their subjects and keen to help students reach their potential.
As well as the grassy slopes and playing fields that surround the building, Varndean College has plenty of social space. Students enjoy sitting in the internal open-air quads or using the coffee bar in the canteen.
Our 2018 Ofsted inspection confirmed our previous grade of ‘GOOD’, inspectors said:
- Governors, leaders and managers have developed a highly inclusive culture that allows staff and students to thrive
- Teachers know their students well and have high expectations. They use their own experiences and expertise to motivate students to achieve.
- Students have positive attitudes to their learning and are proud of their work. They are confident, self-assured, courteous and respectful. They feel that staff treat their health and wellbeing as a priority, which supports them to learn and achieve.
- A Level and vocational students make good progress and achieve well.
- Students on the IB course make outstanding progress. Their achievement is exceptionally high and well above the international average. They develop extremely high levels of skill, knowledge and understanding and the very large majority move on to their first-choice university.
- Students benefit from a broad and balanced curriculum that meets their individual needs.